Wednesday 8 January 2014

We Are Amazing



Hello readers!  Apologies for my long silence – most of my time and energy have been taken up with work and cycle training recently – but there is no excuse for not writing and I will endeavour to post a bit more regularly in the future (people tell me one of the best ways to get good blog readership is to post regularly, so I hope I still have some despite my atrocious irregularity!!).


I should take a leaf from his book and blog more often!
I’d like to clarify that the fact I haven’t published anything on here in a while doesn’t mean I’ve lost my enthusiasm for the things I write about.  I suppose I’ve had less energy to think and write about these things because work has been tough going, but right now I’m sort of feeling a new lease of life and hoping it lasts!


Recently I’ve met and had discussions with a fair few people who share my views on mental health, body image, etc.  The feeling I get is there are a lot of us, which makes it even more frustrating that things aren’t changing more quickly.  Anyway, my favourite encounter happened a few weeks ago when I discovered a new musical hero, who by fortunate coincidence was the support act at a gig I went to.  She goes by the name Philippa Hanna, and one of her songs in particular struck a chord with me (pin not intended!!).  Well, more to the point, the sentiment behind the song struck a chord (this is one thing I really like about this girl - she is a proper singer-songwriter and gave a little synopsis of each song before performing it - nice touch!). 


Philippa talked of how in the past she would do things like go on crazy diets to try and conform to the image of ‘beauty’ prescribed by the media.  Sometimes she thought that she couldn’t get a record deal because physically she wasn’t beautiful enough.  Then, she tells us, she realised it wasn’t necessary to do this, that she was beautiful the way she was, that each one of us should be happy with ourselves because “no one else can be you”.  She then wrote a lovely song called I Am Amazing, which illustrates her change of heart and encourage others to challenge negative thoughts about themselves.  I don’t feel I’ve done this justice as I remember Philippa putting it a lot more nicely and eloquently than I have!  But the point is that there are just too many people striving for unrealistic and impossible ideals of ‘beauty’ because it is drummed into is culturally that this is what we should do.  We need to break free from this viscous circle of media distortion and unhealthy behaviour. 


Let's stop striving for unrealistic ideals of physical beauty
Mental illness is on the up, particularly amongst young people, and I feel that this problem is a big contributing factor to this.  Probably my favourite lyric from the song is Not gonna listen to the voices of my enemies today.  I see the harmful ideals being imposed on people by today’s Western culture almost as an enemy that needs to be challenged, and re-shaped into a healthier form.  This is one of several big cultural changes that I strongly feel need to take place, and I’m determined to contribute to making this happen.


After I saw Philippa Hanna perform, I was fortunate enough to have a brief but interesting conversation with her and told her how pleased I was to hear her speaking the way she had about body image and the media.  She mentioned to me that there have been attempts in the past to pass a law the required all airbrushed images to be labelled as such.  Sadly such a law has not been passed.  Personally I think this would be a very positive step towards reducing the current problem whereby such a great number of young people are taking unhealthy steps towards unobtainable ideals in appearance.  Perhaps my next step will be to start a petition to make this happen… Who’s with me?!

2 comments:

  1. The media has a lot to answer for, in terms of creating unobtainable ideas of how women should look. I find it sad when I hear of children as young as 7 developing eating disorders. Although it doesn't just affect young children alot of people begin to develop eating disorders past the teenage years. It also doesn't help recovery from anorexia as yoru told to achieve a " normal healthy weight", when the media constantly uses models who are certainly not a healthy weight. Although I do feel that that the media is to blame for creating unrelaistic ideals of how people should lok, I don't think that they are solely to blame for a lot of mental health illnesses as everyone has access to these images, but not everyone develops an eating disorder. I do believe that images shuldn't be air brushed though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you say Sarah! But actually rather than airbrushing being banned (this is probably just too big a cultural change to be aiming for right now) perhaps it's more beneficial to aim to make it law that airbrushed images are labelled. In turn this might discourage people from using airbrished images anyway. Plus, let's consider your comment that everyone is exposed to these images but not everyone develops problems: by labelling airbrushed photos we can equip more people to be able to recognise the difference between realistic and unrealistic images, develop more critical intepretations if things they see in the media and create a generally more resillient and robust population!

    On that note, there is a Government petition here for airbrushed photos to be graded for how much they have been edited:

    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/58666

    ReplyDelete