Thursday 14 June 2012

The Trick To Life...


...“is not to get too attached to it…”, so the song goes.  (For those who don’t know, it’s the title track from The Hoosiers’ first album).  But that’s not exactly what this post is about (I like to think my style is a little less morbid than that!).  Sadly, I don’t think there is really a ‘trick to life’; I’m pretty sure if there was one, we'd all be using it by now!  Please let me know if you have any bright ideas though…!


So, why have I called this post The Trick To Life?  Well, I think one way to do pretty well in life is to be a well-rounded person.  This may sound a bit clichéd and obvious, but bear with me!  I think one of the tricks society needs to learn to better use to help people do this is good, well-rounded education.  If you’ve read my previous posts, you’ll already know about my views on how mental health should be incorporated into education.  If you haven’t, then I refer you to my post titled Staring at the Sun.  Although mental health is extremely important, it’s not the only thing that I feel strongly about in terms of education.


What made me decide to write about this today was something I read in my local Youth Parliament manifesto.  One of their notions is that “all young people ages 11-18 should be taught basic politics at school”.  I completely agree:  I for one was barely taught a single thing about politics at school, and the outcome is not good.  It’s embarrassing when it comes to election time or some such event and one simply doesn’t know anything about politics!  And how can a young person be expected to make a reasoned judgement when voting  if they don’t know what the key differences are between the parties?  It seems kind of irresponsible to give people the right to vote without giving them the tools they need to vote wisely (tihs seems an appropriate time to mention a dear friend of mine who votes Labour because their colour is red and he adores Arsenal FC!  He was half joking, I hope!).


It’s not just politics that I believe is severely neglected by the education system.  In my discussions about mental health I’ve already expressed my passion for psychological wellbeing, and another hugely important element of that is body image.  I could go on about this all day and will no doubt be writing about it in more detail in later posts.  But in short I think schools have the potential to do massive amounts to help diminish what experts in the field have called a ‘culture of body dissatisfaction’.  Fortunately awareness of this problem is on the up and there are things being done, but there’s still a lot of work to do.

 
 This weaves back in nicely with my post about mental health awareness.  One of the key things I think could be done to improve emotional wellbeing in general is encouragement of exercise (and not just traditional team sports like netball, football and hockey, but more varied activities to really get lots of young people involved). Not only could this help to prevent illnesses such as depression, but it could also help to alleviate negative body image.  Exercising can help you to feel healthy and maintain a healthy body weight without the need for strict dieting.  I have a lot more to say about this, but I think I’ll save it for another day, so please look out for further posts if this interests you!


All in all, I feel that schools should be doing more to encourage wellbeing and life skills as well as academic success.  I understand that there is already a struggle to fit everything into the National Curriculum, and I agree that the academic side is very important, but I can’t help but think that the value of being academically brilliant is hugely decreased if the person has difficulties in other aspect of their life.  I’d like to hear about other people’s thoughts on this, and will leave you with the question of what sorts of things you believe are really important in education.  Debate, discussion and views contrary to my own are welcome!  As always, thanks for reading :)

5 comments:

  1. "all young people ages 11-18 should be taught basic politics at school"

    A fine idea, except, what is 'basic' politics? I suppose you could talk about the structure of Government in the UK and the various power and that would be useful. But the real important stuff, party ideologies and the like, can't be taught in a school environment.

    Teachers should be able to bring bills and elections to children's attention, and should be encouraged to do so, but by putting any kind of slant on it risks the independent political development of the child and that's the problem.

    With over 16 year olds I think things get very different and the capacity to be influenced by a charismatic teacher is lessened somewhat (not to say there is some magic line but y'know).

    Schools could do so much and have the potential to do so. First of all we need to get off our current model of league tables and the like (the American model) and move over to an equality based system like the Finns.

    After all, good education is the foundation of all improvements to society as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James - The whole system as we know it is biased politically,the right control most things media education,we are bombarded constantly with thier propaganda and treated as passive consumers. What chance has a child/YP got against this systemic onslaught of right wing ideology,your fear of a charismatic teacher seems a little absurd. What scares you ? A left wing teacher a fascist teacher a revoloutionary teacher, there are lots of ways to explore politics in all its glory without fear of indoctrination. Paulo Friere a revoloutionary educationlist said "if you sit on the the fence then you take sides with the oppressor against the oppressed"( pedogogy of the oppressed), so James its great you are interested but get off the fence.I mean this with the greatest respect.Your last comment is true but what defines a good education is debateable,our systemmis riddled with injustice and inequality,access to ideas restriced oon class and satus values- I quote "if you tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine" Che Guevara

      Delete
    2. Oh believe me I'm very off the fence : )

      And I understand your concerns, the Right in general seems so much more adept at utilising media effectively to get their message across, especially to the young.

      But why the is the left not doing the same? I think that is a far more important question, but one for another time (maybe Lauren will right a blog on it sometime) : D.
      I have yet to encounter an openly right wing teacher, whereas liberal and progressive teachers (I imagine such views come with the job to a degree) are all over the place (thankfully or the situation would be much worse).

      With this natural advantage why does the right still supposedly hold sway? I suspect a lot of it is to do with the nature of younger minds, much more inclined to see things in black and white with a tendency to be possessive, or at least that's how my siblings seemed.

      But also it is to do with our views (the Lefties that is), we feel that logic and reason will win out, should win out, over fear, lies and illogical reasoning.
      If we want that to be true it is our duty to continue as we have. Levelling the playing field, always seeking to remove unfair advantage and give all access to information to make choices of their own.

      And that means removing bias in our education, whatever it's source. If a teacher is encouraging their pupils to seek out political stories, try to understand the issue at heart and come up with an opinion of their own then that's brilliant. A charismatic teacher is needed to do that.

      But if a teacher starts telling their young students that the only way forward is to throw out all the immigrants, ban homosexuality etc. or instead that we should throw down the Monarchy, establish a People's Committee and roll out the Red banners I would be pretty peeved.

      You see the difference? That's what I feared in my earlier comment.

      And I completely agree, removing inequality and barriers to education must be one of the greatest priorities.

      Hmm I doubt my 3am ramblings make sense, or even form a coherent argument? Statement? Ah well.

      Just for the hell of it a quote I like from Feynman:

      Theoretically, planning may be good. But nobody has ever figured out the cause of government stupidity—and until they do (and find the cure), all ideal plans will fall into quicksand.

      Oh and of course:

      “Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. “

      Delete
  2. Peter, is that a bit of a Marxist in you I see coming through?! I think you're right, media onslaught is anither big problem that needs to be addressed, but the beauty of education, if we use it effectvely, is that it can teach people how to interpret the media intelligently.

    On a similar note - James, I completely agree that political ideology etc can't really be taught in schools - but, as you say, it would be helpful to teach some badic things about the structure etc. Young people could also be taught some tools for developing their own views in a more balanced way: reading the parties' manifestos, but knowing how to do this in a critical way.

    Now, I studied "critical thinking" as an AS level, and I found it completely pointless. And in my thinking in response to your comments, I've had this sudden revelation that is isn't a pointless subject at all. It was the delivery and content if it that made it pointless for me. What young people could really benefit from being taught is critical thinking in a practical way that really shows them how to use this in real-life situations.

    Sadly no inspirational quotes are coming to mind for me, so I'll leave it at that for now...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A quote "if you tell a lie often enough it becomes politics" Banksy

      Delete