Wednesday 27 June 2012

You Can't Feel It But I Wish You Could


I’ll just start with a heads-up for people who haven’t read my earliest posts, and explain that I’ve set myself the challenge of naming all my posts after song titles or lyrics.  This may seem a little strange, but I love my music so it’ll be interesting to see if I can think of a lyric to match any topic!   Some of them so far have been a bit far-fetched, but I think this one’s quite apt.  ’m going to talk all about those moments when you wish someone else could feel exactly what you’re feeling, just for a moment.  Oh, I almost forgot… My title is from a song called Growing Up High by Seven Summers, a band Matt Cardle used to be in.  A great band; give them a listen!


So, we’ve all had them – I think! – moments when, say, you’ve had an argument with someone, and you just know that they’d come to their senses if they were you, just for a moment, and thought or felt exactly as you did, just for a moment.  Another lyric that I think depicts this nicely is, coincidentally, also from a Seven Summers song: “Sometimes I wish that you were me, so you could see, just what you’re doing wrong” (from the song Without You).  I’ve definitely felt like this after arguments with family members, thinking surely they would stop saying certain things if they knew exactly how it made me feel!  Or after a break-up, when I thought he would surely give me more of an explanation of what was going on if he knew how I was feeling, even just for a second.  


Anyway, although I’m hoping this is something a lot of people can relate to, the point of this post isn’t to just complain about when other people upset me!  There are positive elements too.  A while ago I was talking to someone about being an emotional person (I can see that this might sound like an odd conversation, but to be fair to us we were in a counselling skills session and it was part of an exercise the tutor had set us!).  We both said that although being emotional can be problematic in bad times, it can also be an amazing thing, because as well as really feeling negative things we also feel really positive things. 


This notion of wishing someone else could feel the positive things you do is what the song my title comes from pertains to - “Got a walk with a wobble and a wiggle in it; you can’t feel it but I wish you could… Got a head like sea, I’m swimming in it; how can everybody look so good?  Look up to the skies; something’s written in it; you can’t see it but I wish you could.  Oh, yeah, I’m loving it; oh, yeah, well I’m fine…” – Admittedly there seem to be hints in the lyrics that this could be drug-induced joy, but it’s a song about wanting to spreads joy nonetheless! (Just to clarify, the type of joy I want to spread is definitely not drug-related!)


If I’m feeling great about life, these are the times when I really do wish I could get other people to feel exactly what I’m feeling.  When I see a beautiful view and realise how amazing the world is, I want other people to feel exactly what I am because it’s such a great feeling; I want family and friends to feel exactly how I feel about them so they know how important they are to me. 


She's trying to tell him how important he is to her!
An example of this is a few months back when a friend was having a hard time and I really wanted to help but couldn’t.  I so desperately wanted this person to at least know exactly how much I wanted to help, because I thought that surely this in itself would help them feel a little better!  I myself was in a really good place, really enjoying life and the world.  It was around this time that I wrote my post My Heart Is Open And The Sky’s On Fire (if you haven’t read it yet, please do!).  This post was all about my positive feelings about life and the world; exactly the kind of feeling I so wish I could make other people feel sometimes.  I’m hoping that by sharing my take on things through my blog I may be able to go some way to inspire a certain level of this positivity in some people (the more people that read it, the better chance I’ll have of doing this, so please do share if you think any of my posts are worth a read!).


I also wish that more people felt the same way as me on what I think are massively important issues in society, such as mental health and body image.  I’ve already mentioned some of these things in my previous posts and will go on to talk about more in the future.  I hope that by doing this I can get my views out there, connect to people who feel the same way and inspire others to get thinking in a similar way to me on certain issues.  In the meantime, I hope people will continue to read posts like My Heart Is Open… and You Could Be Happy and find some inspiration in those.
 



Many thanks as always for reading; please share to help me get my views heard by lots of people, and come back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment