Friday 5 September 2014

Freedom


elementalwellbeing.org

I have recently been fortunate enough to come into contact with a lovely lady by the name Marion Aslan, who runs the charity Elemental Wellbeing.  Elemental Wellbeing provides non-medical approaches to mental wellbeing, with a particular focus on the THRIVE approach and emancipation from diagnoses of mental illness.  Marion recently asked me to write a few lines on emancipation; I got a bit carried away and the result is this piece!

To me, the importance of emancipation from a diagnosis of a mental health conditions is obvious.  I say this not just because I feel strongly that this is the case, but also because research evidence firmly supports the statement.  Worryingly, said evidence is not even a new phenomenon; huge problems with mental health diagnoses were unearthed back in the 1970s, when Rosenhan and colleagues conducted a brave and fascinating experiment to see how easy it would be to get themselves admitted to psychiatric hospitals. 

Having reported no other symptoms than hearing a voice saying the word ‘thud’, all eight participants in the aforementioned experiment were admitted to their respective hospitals for anywhere between several weeks and several months, despite acting perfectly normally and feeling quite well.  What got them out was not convincing staff that they were not unwell, but agreeing that they were and feigning getting better. 

It doesn’t end there!  When Rosenhan came into contact with one of the hospitals after the episode outlined above, he was challenged to send more people there to try and get admitted.  This challenge was accompanied by a promise that they would be spotted this time.  The hospital later contacted him to boast that they had uncovered 41 ‘fakes’.  How many people had Mr Rosenhan actually sent, I hear you ask? None.

For me, the Rosenhan experiment is one of the most poignant I’ve ever read about, and the perfect illustration of the dangerously ambiguous nature of mental health diagnosis.  But there are other factors that support my argument too: Results from similar studies supports the above findings, plus there is other research to show that in a great many cases, one psychiatrist will give a different diagnosis to the same patient as another psychiatrist.  We should also give consideration to the fact that our diagnostic criteria for ‘mental illnesses’ are based on nothing more scientific than a bunch of guys at the APA (American Psychiatric Association) sitting in a conference room and pondering what name to give to each collection of symptoms that psychiatry deems as constituting a mental illness.

Collectively, the above points serve to illustrate the very arbitrary nature of the diagnosis of mental health conditions.  To me, this is slightly sickening and made worse by the fact that once a person has been labelled with a mental health diagnosis, psychiatry holds them to have a lifelong illness, and it is near impossible to shake off that label.  The reason I find this so disgusting is that psychiatry will then proceed to deem every single thing that person does as a feature of their illness, which is incredibly unhelpful in the process of enabling that person to recover and achieve a high level of functioning beyond their diagnosis.

To illustrate my point in more detail, I’m fairly confident that elements of my own experience and behaviour could, on occasions, be interpreted as signs of ‘mental illness’; something like bipolar disorder.  If I challenged you to spend a month or two interpreting my behaviour as though I were a psychiatric patient with this diagnosis, I reckon I would probably appear as ‘mad’ as anyone else with that label!  What’s happening is that a medical label is being placed on normal human experience, which I maintain is a dangerous practice.

To me it is incredibly unfair that people should be subjected to this kind of preconception just because they have had periods of difficulty and distress, and it would be far more productive to recognise such periods as transient experiences that can be fully recovered and moved on from completely. 

Many of my colleagues who work in the field of mental health will argue that there are some patients who will never recover, will always need medication and will always be susceptible to further episodes of difficulty, or ‘illness’.  My own stance is that each person is different, and to be honest I am currently unsure whether I believe this is ever the case or not.  However, to me, even if there are some people who will suffer multiple periods of distress throughout their lives, surely it is far more helpful to those people to allow them space to be free from diagnosis and to live accomplished and meaningful lives?  I feel that the concept of mental illness is an unhelpful and quite inhumane one, and much prefer to treat people as people rather than illnesses, move away from the assumption that they will be forever subject to their psychiatric label, and ultimately empower people (or rather allow them to empower themselves) to recover and thrive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment